Benefits of Travelling in Your Own Country
Benefits of Travelling in Your Own Country
Save tourism, take a staycation
It always seems that the grass is greener on the other side. The tourist attractions are more alluring, the landscape is more beautiful, and that there are more interesting things to see and do. But, if you decide to travel locally, you may be pleasantly surprised. Domestic travel can help you discover your country, different areas, meet new people, see beyond the surface and popular places.
It’s not just about going to the mountains as well as to the beach, it’s about getting to know new places. Going to smaller towns and regions that you have never seen.
1. You can discover different areas, going beyond the popular ones on a staycation.
It’s always great to talk to the locals, to learn more about a given area, and it’s specific customs. As you are a “local”, it’s easier to better understand the context and background of all these new places.
2. Meet people and learn more about your country a staycation.
Meet the ladies drying fish in the traditional way in Nazaré on the Silver Coast of Portugal
3. Learn more about the history and culture of your country during a staycation.
It’s a great way for children especially to better understand history and geography of their homeland.
4. Support the local economy by having a staycation.It may not be much, but it matters, there are many local businesses that could use the support by buying traditional products, staying at local villas or hotels, etc.
5. Fewer documents are requiredIt is always good when there are fewer documents to take care of. Travelling locally means no passport or visa’s required – which is always a good thing. When travelling with a child or with a pet, there are also fewer documents needed.
6. Save money on a staycation.It is often much cheaper to take a holiday in Portugal than in most countries in Europe. In fact, it’s almost always cheaper to travel locally.
You can also decide to take a road trip and, to save even more money, you can use a campervan/caravan. This means that you’ll save money on accommodation so you will be able to travel more while spending less.
7. Less money spent on insuranceYou most likely have your health insurance as you are a local, so that part of the travel budget can be counted as saved money, so that can be spent on something else like tickets to various attractions or more days of travelling.
If you like, you can go fishing on your trip, or scuba diving, or hiking. Whatever it is that you like, you can do on your trips, go prepared.
8. Indulge your hobbies without travelling too far.
Hiking is wonderful in Portugal, with so many places to visit such as:
Aqueduto dos Pegões in Central Portugal
You don’t need to pack light anymore. You can take whatever you think you’ll need with you, without worrying about weight. If there’s room in the trunk, then it’s alright! And trust me, that comes in handy. I admit, while I don’t want to take my entire wardrobe with me, I like to be prepared, this means that I am prepared for rainy days, for cold evenings/days, so a few extra outfits means I don’t need to wash clothes every other day.
9. Pack all the things you want, there is no weight limit.
Opting to chose to stay in your own country is greener because you are not travelling by airplane which will contribute to the air emissions that’s more than 4 months of driving just in one flight.
10. Go green on a staycation
As you can see, there are plenty of reasons to take a holiday in your own country. Or more holidays! Make sure you plan your next trip carefully and, no matter where you go, enjoy your travels!
Mandy Lucy Verbrugge is lucky enough to live in the Setubal region and owns 3 holiday rentals there. If you now feel tempted to take a holiday you can find her listings here Quinta do Vale Silva, and Villa Roxy
Why not sign up for the portugalholidays4u.com newsletter at the bottom of this page and every 2 weeks receive the highlights and links to new articles from the website.
No spam and unsubscribe at any time
Vidya Sury "Ironically we never really get around as much as we would like to in our own towns and yet we make travel plans to cities and locations far off. We were just discussing the other day that once the travel bans are lifted we would like to explore some places in our own state - we live in one of the most historical and beautiful states in India! Great points here!"
Shilpa Garg "True, there is so much to explore and enjoy in your own country. And India being a large country there are soooo many places to travel to and specifically Jaipur where we stay has a lot to offer. These are great tips and pointers for everyone to follow during a staycation. Thanks for sharing :)"
It is true that there are many amazing places close to home, luckily we are in one of the most beautiful parts of Portugal, so hopefully we can explore a lot more
Gwen Serrotti "Thank you for the great tips. Currently our country is still in lockdown and we are only allowed to travel to the shops to get the essentials. Soon only a few businesses will be allowed to open and we are also not allowed to travel between provinces. But as soon as we can start moving around, I am definitely going to take advantage of seeing our country - through fresh eyes and with renewed appreciation!"
I think a lot of us will be looking at our own countries with new eyes, there are still so many placesin Portugal that we want to visit, when we can travel again
Lynne Huysamen "I love traveling locally and not even that far out. Something my husband and I love doing is taking a day trip out with our kids to another town. It is amazing how much you can see and learn about towns close to you! We live in a small town and there are many small towns around us - we are in lockdown now and not able to move around much but as soon as we can we will be taking some quick day trips for some fun and sightseeing. I totally agree with you, yes overseas trips are fantastic but seeing your own country is also amazing!"
Hopefully many of us will now be looking at our own countries and finding great places to visit